Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Vineyard of the Lord


             Jacob 5: 24—“And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard said again unto his servant: Look hither, and behold another branch also, which I have planted; behold that I have nourished it also, and it hath brought forth fruit.”

              One of my favorite passages of scripture is found in the book of Jacob. Chapter 5 is where we find the illustrious Allegory of the Olive Trees. Jacob quotes another prophet named Zenos, relating the allegory. Basically, the allegory is a representation of us, our interaction with the world and our relationship with the Lord.

              Zenos was prophetically explaining the scattering and gathering of Israel. However, as we diligently read and ponder on the meaning of this allegory, we realize the personal applications. I don’t know much about gardening. Much is mentioned about pruning and digging and so forth. The Lord will prune us, or take things from our lives that are hindering us from achieving our potential. He will dig around the roots of our soul, in other words drive us to be humble. He will nourish us with His word, through His servants, in His way. He will graft new blessings into our daily lives. Finally, He will burn those things that are of no importance.

              I’m grateful for the process by which the Lord develops us. At times it may seem hard, bitter, never-ending, lonely. But in the end, the Lord’s work and His glory is to make us happy. Look to the future and trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment