Saturday, January 28, 2017

Knock, and it Shall be Opened unto You


1 Nephi 15: 8—“… Have ye inquired of the Lord?”

Life is for learning. A few months ago, I was searching high and low for a new car. As I looked at hundreds of potential buys, I would always ask myself one question, “Can this car get me from A to B?” (and most cars listed in the KSL classifieds couldn’t). However, I hope that when we examine our lives we do not ask ourselves, “Have I made it to B?” or “Will I ever make it to B?” Instead I hope that we can have faith. I pray that I can constantly look forward in confidence and know that the Lord will provide a way for me to make it to ‘B’. I also feel it is important that we ask ourselves, “What have I learned or what have I become in the process of traveling to point B?”

Life is full of questions. These questions are the foundation of our learning. Each question we face faithfully and courageously helps us to grow. I feel like the Lord will occasionally let us face confusion and uncertainty. He wants us to turn to him and inquire of Him. 1 Nephi 15 proceeds the account of Lehi’s dream and later Nephi’s vision, which is an interpretation of his father’s dream. In the first few verses, we read yet another interesting interaction between Nephi and his elder brothers. Nephi understands what his father is teaching, his brothers do not. Keep in mind they all heard their father’s dream at the same time. They each heard it the same way the others did. But there was a big difference between what Nephi did with the information he received and what his brothers did.

Nephi is an excellent learner. He desired to know what Lehi was talking about, and he believed that the Lord was able to teach him what it meant. He pondered in his heart and then received revelation in the same manner as his father. Laman and Lemuel disputed over the subject. When Nephi asked them, “..have ye inquired of the Lord?” they told him they had not, because they did not believe the Lord would answer their question.

Heavenly Father is the creator of the universe. He is all-knowing, and gives freely to those that ask. So why do we not ask? Doubt can be overcome as we humble ourselves, ask by the prayer of faith, and wait patiently for him to answer. I know God answers prayers. He may not do it when we want him to, or in the way we want him to, but He will answer our faith filled prayers. When we receive answers from a sincere inquiry to the most high, it brings much peace into our lives. This knowledge we gain shapes and defines our lives. It helps us to become what God needs us to be along the path from A to B.

The next time you have a question that just seems unanswerable, I challenge you to ask yourself, “Have you inquired of the Lord?” I promise that as we do so with a sincere hear and pure intent, we will receive answers.

              “The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching”—Joseph Smith Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment