Saturday, January 21, 2017

Don't just go through trials, Grow through trials.

1 Nephi 2: 15—“And my father dwelt in a tent.”


The Book of Mormon contains eternal truth and simple teachings that can bring joy into our daily lives and divine direction in an ever so darkening world.  A common theme found in this volume of holy scripture is that happiness is within our reach. I believe in a loving God who is the father of our spirits. He wants to see His children succeed, find true joy, and become something greater than what we are now, although He is very proud of how hard we work and how far we’ve come.

As we read from the pages of the Book of Mormon, we learn that God usually does not teach us in the most comfortable circumstances. I grew up in the church (I’ll be forever grateful for that, mom and dad). I’ve studied the Book of Mormon for Seminary, Sunday School, personal study, and even daily with my family. Every time I came across 1 Nephi 2:15, I thought the passage was a little irrelevant. Never have I thought it had any significant meaning, until class on Wednesday (Religion 275. Go Cougs. Go Brother Griffin).

The “tent” that Lehi dwelt in represents the stepping stone between the sacrifices he’s made to obey the commandments of the Lord (WILLINGLY), and the “promised land” or the blessings (happiness) promised to us by our loving Heavenly Father. Remember, Lehi and his family most likely enjoyed a great life back in Jerusalem. Leaving was indeed a sacrifice, but it was necessary for fulfilling the purposes of God. Again remember, that purpose is our success. Our happiness. Our potential.

When you find yourself in your “tents”, be faithful. At times we (I’m included in ‘we’) let our environment or our circumstances get the best of us. Life is hard. However, location does not determine happiness. I’m certain Lehi was happy in that tent of his. Be confident that God is making you great in something we call the refiner’s fire. Know that Heavenly Father has happiness and joy in store for us, so long as we keep His commandments and endure to the end. GROW through trials!

              “Don’t let distractions or circumstances keep you from your future.” -Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment